Friday, April 19, 2013

Spring 2013 MP 5

Write a reflection about your experience as a LMC intern for the marking period. Include what you enjoyed and what you intend to accomplish in the next marking period.

6 comments:

  1. I am learning that some students do not clean up after themselves. It makes me mad to go through the shelves and find a candy wrapper stuck in between some books. Sometimes there are even used tissues. It is not right the way some people could be that careless. At least, it helps me to learn that not only is being a librarian about books, providing resources to students, and helping others. It is about helping to keep the library clean. I also learned that you have to make sure everything is checked out right. We had been looking for the book 'Mockingjay,, the final book in a series. Someone was really looking forward to reading it. It came up as checked in. First, we thought that maybe someone had moved it, to come back for it later. But, really it was checked out. It’s insightful what you could learn in just one marking period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, I enjoy my time here. It really is one of my favorite parts of the day.
    I think the biggest thing I learned this marking period was to better my management skills. There has been more than one occasion when I got caught up in one thing and forgot that I couldn't do something else. In the next marking period I am hoping to accomplish on organizing at least one LMC meeting and finally get around to having the Book to Movie Night. There's so much to do and so little time, but hopefully in trying to reorganize my scheduling skills, I'll be able to do it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed planning the events for MPP even though no one would really show up because it helped me with my organizational skills and taught me to be more prepared for the next time. I also really liked learning even more of where everything goes in the library and being able to help out with little tasks around the library. What I intend on finishing in the last marking period is planning the Bookbliss event that I would like to try out during MPP one day hopefully attracting more students with food to discuss their favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am beginning to understand that, not only does the library offer books to borrow and magazines to read. The library also lets you check out a camera for senior projects, and if you want, to take pictures while on a class trip. You just have to make sure you take very good care of it. Also you must renew it the day afterwards due to the fact that overnight. I also understand that librarians do not sit around in the library all day. Sometime, they volunteer to be chaperons for a school field trip. I am also learning that it’s okay to ask for help when you need it. No one will judge you for it. I also learned that must students are very patient, which is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being an intern for the library is a good way to get experience for being organizied. It's a fun relaxing job to do because sometimes you have slow days. Most of the time it's kind of slow, but you still have certain jobs that need to be done. It's a school library and when classes come down to the library for instruction then it becomes busier. During that time kids need books to check out. Most of the time the main librarians will check out books. There are times when they do other things that are more important to get done, so they have me check out the books. Students may need books for class reports or a project. There are alot of things the librarians need me to do. Some things are checking out and check in books, getting the reading eagle newspaper, and putting the books back on the shelves. The books have to be sensitized and returned to the proper shelf making sure that they are in alphabetical order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been pretty busy putting away books as the end of the year. It’s probably because nobody wants to be stuck with a fine to pay at end of the year. Otherwise, it is pretty slow day at the library. But like always there are still a lot of things to do. There are magazines to put away, bookshelves to clean, books to check in and put away, and cleaning gum from one of the bookshelves. I was cleaning the bookshelves a few days ago and found a piece of gum stuck to a corner of a bookshelf. It was hard so I had to go at it with a pair of scissors and a napkin. Gross, but this just further helps me to understand why it is important that you make sure the library looks its best. What student wants to be greeted by a piece of gum when looking for a book? Otherwise, I enjoy having to come in and find Colden sitting on the chair. He is such a cute cat and he hangs out here more during the spring time. In the next marking period I hope to gain more understand about coordinating a successful event because the Open Mic event is coming up soon. I am very excited.

    ReplyDelete