Write a reflection about your overall experience as a LMC intern for the semester. Include what you enjoyed and what you accomplished during the semester. Include any advice you have for future interns!
In the third marking period, I helped create our second library newsletter. I also completed my camtasia project on the responsibilities of an intern. Throughout the marking period, I also completed smaller tasks such as labeling books and numbering the yearbooks. My favorite part of the marking period was waiving book fines on amnesty day (or whatever we are calling it now).
Overall, I enjoyed my time in the library. I really enjoyed getting to work with the library staff and having a fun time. Considering this was one of the first semesters for library interns, I thought the course was well structured and I took information away from my experiences. I liked the idea of the newsletter and I hope this continues for other interns. I was pleased with the camtasia project I compiled at the end of the year and I hope this will help future interns.
As a whole, I thought the library benefitted from having interns available to help. Having student interns also promotes other students to come to the desk and ask questions for help. Throughout the semester, I helped other students find books, print papers and solve computer issues. I also think it is great to have interns help return books, as both you (Ms. Schmidt) and Mrs. Moyer are often busy with other tasks.
A final thought: the course did not involve much out of school work or "paper work," and I thought this was really good. I feel that many times in high school, we as students have to complete tasks purely so teachers can have something to grade. The only thing we had to submit for this course was the blog post, which was not a bad thing because it allowed for feedback. By having little outside work or paper work, I was able to focus my time on creating projects for the library. I think for future interns, you should continue to grade on effort and cooperation in the library, and not begin to ask for long paperwork from interns. In other words, keep doing what your doing :-)
Finally, advice to future interns: 1) watch the camtasia project! 2) Be innovative! The library should be a place to test new ideas and new technologies. Fortunately for us, Ms. Schmidt thinks this way. So bring new ideas so that we can continue moving forward!
During this third marking period I continued to work on the series. The other on going tasks that continue in the LMC were also prevalent in my work. I honestly enjoyed these three semesters interning in the library. In the past I have only used the library, not really knowing or paying attention to what goes into making the place run. Now knowing about all of the small (and large full scale) actives that happen in the LMC, and how it takes people to run them smoothly, I have new found respect for the Library Science field.
Some may think that being a LMC intern is boring or way too easy. Well, I personally find myself always having something to do, some task to complete or start. Finishing a task or helping someone with something, brings a sense of satisfaction that I don't receive in other classes. Not to anyones fault, because trying to label these learned values in a class syllabus is difficult (not to mention teaching because they are learned skills). But to know that a public school department (the LMC) is more then just handing out book and grouchy librarians with heat flashes, brings a good feeling. The truth is that it's a great recourse for students and teachers alike, both quantitative and socially for teaching and learning.
In the third marking period, I helped create our second library newsletter. I also completed my camtasia project on the responsibilities of an intern. Throughout the marking period, I also completed smaller tasks such as labeling books and numbering the yearbooks. My favorite part of the marking period was waiving book fines on amnesty day (or whatever we are calling it now).
ReplyDeleteOverall, I enjoyed my time in the library. I really enjoyed getting to work with the library staff and having a fun time. Considering this was one of the first semesters for library interns, I thought the course was well structured and I took information away from my experiences. I liked the idea of the newsletter and I hope this continues for other interns. I was pleased with the camtasia project I compiled at the end of the year and I hope this will help future interns.
As a whole, I thought the library benefitted from having interns available to help. Having student interns also promotes other students to come to the desk and ask questions for help. Throughout the semester, I helped other students find books, print papers and solve computer issues. I also think it is great to have interns help return books, as both you (Ms. Schmidt) and Mrs. Moyer are often busy with other tasks.
A final thought: the course did not involve much out of school work or "paper work," and I thought this was really good. I feel that many times in high school, we as students have to complete tasks purely so teachers can have something to grade. The only thing we had to submit for this course was the blog post, which was not a bad thing because it allowed for feedback. By having little outside work or paper work, I was able to focus my time on creating projects for the library. I think for future interns, you should continue to grade on effort and cooperation in the library, and not begin to ask for long paperwork from interns. In other words, keep doing what your doing :-)
Finally, advice to future interns: 1) watch the camtasia project!
2) Be innovative! The library should be a place to test new ideas and new technologies. Fortunately for us, Ms. Schmidt thinks this way. So bring new ideas so that we can continue moving forward!
During this third marking period I continued to work on the series. The other on going tasks that continue in the LMC were also prevalent in my work. I honestly enjoyed these three semesters interning in the library. In the past I have only used the library, not really knowing or paying attention to what goes into making the place run. Now knowing about all of the small (and large full scale) actives that happen in the LMC, and how it takes people to run them smoothly, I have new found respect for the Library Science field.
ReplyDeleteSome may think that being a LMC intern is boring or way too easy. Well, I personally find myself always having something to do, some task to complete or start. Finishing a task or helping someone with something, brings a sense of satisfaction that I don't receive in other classes. Not to anyones fault, because trying to label these learned values in a class syllabus is difficult (not to mention teaching because they are learned skills). But to know that a public school department (the LMC) is more then just handing out book and grouchy librarians with heat flashes, brings a good feeling. The truth is that it's a great recourse for students and teachers alike, both quantitative and socially for teaching and learning.
Thank you for the opportunity!